Millions of people in the eastern United States dug out Sunday from a historic blizzard that brought New York and Washington to a standstill, but travel woes look set to persist into another week.
The storm — dubbed “Snowzilla” — killed at least 18 people after it walloped several states from Friday into early Sunday, affecting an estimated 85 million residents who were told to stay in doors and off the roads for their own safety. Forecasters said 26.8 inches (68 centimeters) of snow fell in New York’s Central Park, the second-highest accumulation in the city since records began in 1869, and more than 22 inches paralyzed the capital Washington.
Near-record-breaking snowfall was recorded in other cities up and down the East Coast, with Philadelphia and Baltimore also on the receiving end of some of the worst that Mother Nature could fling at them. (AP)
These are some of more than 5,000 entries to go on display in “Wilderness Forever: 50 Years of Protecting America’s Wild Places,” a new photo exhibition at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History, which will run through summer 2015.
The landslide heaved houses off their foundations, toppled trees and left a gaping cavity on what had been a tree-covered hillside.
More than 100 properties were hit by the mudslide.
Seattle Times newspaper reported that many warnings had been issued about the area where the disaster.
In 1999, a report was filed to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers highlighting “the potential for a large catastrophic failure”.
Search crew workers were forced again to briefly retreat on Monday from the western edge of the slide area after movement was detected along a 1,500-foot (460-meter) stretch of earth.
There is fear of flooding as water levels rose behind a crude dam of mud and rubble that had been dumped into the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River by the slide in an area along State Route 530, about 55 miles northeast of Seattle, in the Pacific Northwest state.
13 people including the gunman were reported killed in a mass killing at the Washington Navy Yard.
America’s Navy stated that the tragedy happened inside the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters building (Bldg. 197) on the Washington Navy Yard at 8:20 a.m. (Eastern Time) September 16.
Yahoo News reported that the victims ranged in age from 46 to 73, and were either civilians or contractors.
Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at Washington Hospital Center, said one Metropolitan Police officer and two civilians are being treated there and that they arrived in critical condition.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation or FBI identified the suspect as Aaron Alexis, 34 years old, a civilian contractor from Queens, New York.
Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said Alexis was shot during a gun battle with officers.
Yahoo News reported that Alexis was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011 and left the Navy on January 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class and had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46 in Fort Worth.
A Navy official told Reuters that Alexis received a general discharge from the Navy in 2011 “after a series of misconduct issues.”
A ‘shelter in place’ order was issued for Navy Yard personnel after the shooting.
Access to the Washington Navy Yard will be restricted Tuesday, Sept. 17 to mission essential personnel only as the FBI continues its investigation.
Authorities are still investigating the case to determine the motive of the shooting.