The water at the Sydney’s famous beaches, Bondi Beach, as well as nearby Clovelly Beach and Gordon’s Bay had turned red.
Algae bloom caused the water to turn red.
The red algae was identified as Noctiluca scintillans or sea sparkle.
The hot and humid weather caused the algae to grow.
People were advised not to swim in algae-coloured water because it has high ammonia levels that can irritate our skin.
Fortunately the red algae is not toxic.
Anyway lifeguard Bruce Hopkins told the Australian Associated Press that, “It has got quite a fishy smell to it.”
Please click the photos for bigger images: