International Business Times: The US Geological Survey (USGS) says a magnitude 7.9 earthquake has struck in the waters off Papua New Guinea.
A tsunami alert was issued after the quake, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre (PTWC). This earthquake is considered to be a major one. Due to the depth of the tremors, shockwaves will be felt in a very wide radius, according to Earthquake Report. Maximum shaking values are reported as “very strong”, but not considered as anything out of the ordinary for a country like Papua New Guinea and its neighbouring islands.
Strong tsunami waves could affect the coastal areas of Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Indonesia, Nauru and other islands in the hours following the quake, the PTWC said.
The quake struck 60 km to the east of Taron, New Ireland, at 8.51 pm local time (1051 GMT) and was originally recorded at 8.0-magititude and then slightly revised down to 7.9. It struck at a depth of some 75 km, according to the USGS.
A 7.3 magnitude earthquake under the sea at a depth of 28 miles (46 km) near Maluku Islands, Indonesia has triggered tsunami warning on Saturday.
According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake struck northwest of the town of Kota Ternate, at 0231 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said: “Tsunami waves are possible for coasts located within 300 kilometres.”
It said tsunami waves could hit parts of Indonesia, as well the Philippines, Japan, Taiwan and islands in the South Pacific.
KOMPAS.com listed 15 places in Indonesia that has the potential to be hit by the tsunami:
1. Halmahera, Maluku
2. Halmahera Utara, Maluku Utara
3. Kepulauan Sula, Maluku Utara
4. Bolaangmongondow bagian selatan, Sulawesi Utara
5. Kepulauan Sangihe, Sulawesi Utara
6. Kepulauan Talaud, Sulawesi Utara
7. Minahasa Bagian Selatan, Sulawesi Utara
8. Minahasa-Selatan Bagian Selatan, Sulawesi Utara
9. Minahasa Utara bagian selatan, Sulawesi Utara
10. Minahasa Utara bagian utara, Sulawesi Utara
11. Gorontalo bagian utara, Gorontalo
12. Buru, Maluku
13. Seram bagian barat, Maluku
14. Halmahera Selatan, Maluku Utara
15. Kota Ternate, Maluku Utara