This is a video about the Kampung Simunul ambush by NST reporters, Farrah Naz Karim and Jassmine Shadiqe.
Some foreign and some of our opposition link-medias are trying to make the Malaysian government and our security forces look bad on the Lahad Datu incident.
People who only read their stories might believe those media reports.
That makes me very sad and angry because I love my country very much.
I think that it is unfair for anybody to twist the facts for their own agendas.
I was shocked reading how cruel are those Sulu militants who illegally entered our country and killed our security forces.
They are so cruel that they even mutilated the bodies of fallen heroes after they killed them.
After what they did therir leader asked for a cease fire but keep on shooting our security forces.
Please read this report from The New Straits Times:
(NST) ANGER AND SADNESS: VAT 69 commandos relive the nightmare of seeing their comrades get killed
LAHAD DATU: It was 3am and pitch dark on the heavily fortified beach we were on after a long, eventful day.
The previous day, security forces had launched a massive attack on Kampung Tanduo where terrorists from Sulu had been holed up since Feb 12.
The fear was that they could have broken through the security cordon and entered nearby villages.
Most of the security personnel around us had their eyes glued to their night vision binoculars sweeping the waters ahead and the vast area behind us.
Our discussion on what we were planning to do later in the morning was interrupted by a security personnel who walked up from behind unnoticed.
We stood up and turned his way, answering his “salam” that greeted us.
The personnel, whom from then on we addressed as “Abang” asked us what we were doing there.
Our conversation revealed what many had wanted to know about what had happened on March 1, when the country was rocked by news that two security personnel he referred to as “brothers”, were killed by the terrorists in an ambush.
Before us stood the commando who was tasked with maintaining the security cordon around Kampung Tanduo under Ops Sulu (now codenamed Ops Daulat).
Initially, it seemed impossible to get Abang, whose face was weather-beaten and weary, to open up to us. He was not convinced we were journalists until we showed him our press credentials.
It was clear to us then that as much as he didn’t want to, as he had no authority to talk to civilians, he wanted to defend his fellow comrades who had been accused by some quarters as being part of a staged “drama”.
Abang was one of roughly 40 VAT 69 commandos deployed in the first of three front lines to tighten the security cordon.
VAT 69 is the main force. The second line is the police elite strike force, followed by the general operations force.
That morning, in a six-layer “U” formation, the VAT 69 team started inching closer into the terrorists’ hideout in the village that was located several hundred metres from the shore. Metres ahead of them was an incline.
As they moved further in, personnel in the first line, which included fallen heroes Assistant Su perintendent Zulkifli Mamat, 29, and Sergeant Sabarudin Daud, 46, stopped in their tracks.
All personnel behind them, also stopped. They were suddenly face to face with several terrorists who had been hiding in a chest-deep ditch which was camouflaged with dried palm leaves.
“They all suddenly stood up and both sides had weapons trained at each other. Our brothers in front were training their M-16s down at the terrorists… there were several seconds of silence.
“We had instructions not to shoot on sight as our mission was to seek and capture.
“During this stand-off, which lasted a few seconds, we noticed more of them behind a slope, just behind the ditch.
“It was in that few seconds when their snipers from the slope shot our two brothers in the head,” he said, anger and sadness evident in his eyes.
Heavy exchange of gunfire ensued, and the commandos killed 12 terrorists.
Abang said when the shooting stopped, his team did not pursue the terrorists as they were uncertain of the enemies’ strength and numbers.
“I saw it all from where I was. I saw a glimpse of his face as he fell back after being hit… it killed me,” he said, referring to one of his men who was shot. Abang then turned and walked away.
As we, too, turned to walk back to our base, we were approached by another personnel who had earlier passed us by as we were talking to Abang.
This VAT 69 commando, who wanted to be identified only as Agus, was also part of Abang’s team.
Pointing towards Abang, who by then had almost disappeared into the night, Agus said: “He’s very affected by Tuan Zulkifli’s death. He saw him being shot in the head. He could not do anything but continued shooting at the enemy, even as Tuan Zulkifli’s lifeless body brushed against his leg after hitting the ground”.
Agus said the team had, for several mornings, been moving further into the village, setting up camps as they advanced.
On that fateful morning’s mission, Agus was positioned in the third row.
“When one of my brothers was shot in the leg during the shoot- out, my comrades in the fourth row pulled him further back.
“He was bleeding so heavily that I had to crouch to stop the bleeding with my left hand while I held my M-16 with my right hand, support ing the buttstock with my right knee, for about half an hour.
“All this while the rest of us continued firing towards the ditch and slope, until the enemy retreated,” he said.
At this point, another personnel who was standing close by joined us. His eyes were glistening with tears of anger when he told us how he felt with regard to the accusations that the Kampung Tanduo ambush was a political ploy. His demeanour changed.
It was difficult for both of us to hold back our emotions when this six-foot commando, whose face was thick in grime, cried as he told us this: “It is something that will haunt you forever, seeing the lifeless bodies of your comrades mutilated. Imagine holding a family member whose body had been mutilated, in your arms.
“One of them was my former squad member, who had a full life ahead of him,” said the personnel who was assigned to the water village in Kampung Seri Jaya, Simunul in Semporna, to retrieve the bodies of six personnel killed there during an ambush last Sat urday.
In the two separate ambushes, eight members of the security forces were killed.
Today is the second day of OPS Daulat; please click here for In Photos: OPS Daulat Lahad Datu – March 5, 2013.
NST reported that at 8 p.m., the IGP Tan Sri Ismail Omar said shooting incidents between the security forces and terrorist groups were reported in three locations in the village of Tanjung Batu, Lahad Datu this afternoon as the security forces continued their sweeping and mopping operations.
The IGP warned that the Sulu gunmen who escaped the army bombardment on Tuesday are now masquerading as local residents to get away from the police.
At 4.35 p.m., Defence minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi showed photographs of bodies of 7 terrorists killed in yesterday’s OPS Daulat in Kampung Tanduo in Lahad Datu.
Very early this morning, a Sulu intruder was killed during after he opened fire at security forces forcing the ground team to retaliate.
And in the early afternoon, four suspected terrorists were arrested by the security forces at Kampung Airport near Kem Sri Wangsa, Semporna.
NST also reported that two men were detained by the security forces as they walked out of a plantation near the entrance to Kampung Tanjung Labian.
Some reporters saw the Navy stopped a small boat that came close to shore not far from the Felda Residence in Lahad Datu.
There were several sightings reported of terrorists trying to escape the plantations in Lahad Datu.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said that the Malaysian security forces are in full control of areas in the east coast of Sabah .
This morning the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Abdul Razak made a statement that the Malaysian Security Forces have launched an attack Sulu intruders in Kampung Tanduo in Lahad Datu, Sabah at 7 a.m. today.
NST reported that at about 8.25 a.m. villagers fled the area as several explosions were heard while fighter jets and helicopters are also seen.
After the air operations, the ground troops went into the area.
NST also reported that six vessels, two each from the Navy, marine police and Malaysia Maritime Enforcement Agency were earlier seen leaving the marine police jetty.
In a press statement, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said the attack on the intruders is a success and no casualties were reported on the Malaysian side during the operation.
The Sulu intruders started a stand-off in Lahad Datu, Sabah since February 12, 2013 and do not want to leave our country despite the Malaysian police have arranged for meetings and discussions hoping that the intruders would agree to leave peacefully without facing serious action.
Last Friday, they fired shots at policemen on duty killing two police officers and on Saturday they killed another six policemen in Semporna.
Please read, ‘Lahad Datu Shooting: 2 Malaysian Police Killed, 3 Injured‘ and ‘List And Photos Of Policemen Killed In Semporna Shooting‘.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department, Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said Malaysia is not at war with the Philippines government as the intruders are not recognised by the Philippine government.
He further said that if they are detained, they will face criminal charges including for murder.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein confirmed that none of the Malaysian security forces were injured in this morning’s operation.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi confirms security forces utilised 3 F/A-18D fighter bombers and 5 Hawk 208 fighter jets in this morning’s operation during a joint press conference with Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein today.
Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Acryl Sani Abdullah said that Sarawak police are sending reinforcement of 500 policemen from its 10th Battalion in Sibu, 11th Battalion in Kuching and 12th Battalion in Miri, to Sabah today.
At a 4 p.m. press briefing, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said that the operation is ongoing and that he believed that the remaining Sulu soldiers were still in and around the operation area, adding that it was unknown whether some managed to escape to other nearby villages such as Tanjung Batu.
I love my country and I think so do most people in Sabah and that they do not want those intruders to disturb their lives and causing lots of troubles to everybody.
I pray that there will be no more casualties on the Malaysian security forces and this operation will be a success.
When I supported the opposition parties in Pakatan Rakyat (PR), I thought that the Malaysian police was bad and brutal because PR leaders always say so.
Now I am proud of the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) and I think that they are our heroes.
(NST) Below is the statement by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak on the Lahad Datu incident.
Since the intrusion by a group of gunmen in Lahad Datu on Feb 12, the government has taken an approach to resolve the conflict without any bloodshed.
The police have arranged for meetings and discussions hoping that the intruders would agree to leave peacefully without facing serious action.
However, as the intrusion prolonged, it was clear that the intruders had no intention to leave Sabah. Last Friday, they fired shots at policemen on duty causing the deaths of two officers and one day later, another six policemen were killed by intruders in Semporna.
After the first attack, I have reaffirmed that the intruders must surrender or we will act.
As an Islamic country that loves peace and uphold the struggle to end conflicts through negotiations, our effort to prevent bloodshed in Lahad Datu failed. Our security forces were attacked and our men killed. Malaysians, especially in Sabah, are worried for their safety.
The government must take action to defend the country’s dignity and sovereignty as demanded by the people.
At 7 a.m. this morning, our security forces have launched an attack (on the intruders) in Kampung Tanduo.
Today NST reported that almost 4,000 victims in Johor, Selangor, Perak and Malacca have been evacuated as floodwaters rose to danger levels.
The authorities issued the flood alert yesterday after the situation worsened following the non-stop rain in four west coast states.
They warned that the situation would become worse as it may rain continuously for between three to eight days.
The Welfare Department are prepared for the flood.
There are 5,068 relief centres that can accommodate up to 1.3 million flood victims throughout the nation.
A random test on processed food last week found traces of banned antibiotics in an Ayamas product.
So, the Sarawak Veterinary Authority banned all imports of Ayamas products with immediate effect because of the detection of the banned antibiotics known as Chloramphenico in a sample of chicken frankfurters.
Sarawak State Assistant Agriculture Minister Mong Dagang said “The antibiotics are not supposed to be used for human food. It is a banned substance in food production”.
Now I wonder if there are other brands of chicken products in Malaysia that also contained the antibiotic or other banned antibiotics?
I hope that the Health Minister will list out all the Ayamas products that contained the banned antibiotic.
GEORGE TOWN: All Ayamas products with traces of banned antibiotics products has since been ordered to be withdrawn from the market.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Liow Tiong Lai said in Penang that his ministry had ordered for the withdrawal of the product penduct laboratory tests on the batch affected by the bacterial affection.
Liow said he was now waiting for the laboratory results of the tests taken on the affected samples.
He however also added that other Ayamas products not affected by the bacterial infection could continue to be sold.
Today NST reports on the banned Al-Arqam movement’s “shadow cabinet”.
Please click here for: ‘PKR’s Dr. Badrulamin Detained At Al-Arqam Concert; Is He Involved With The Banned Sect.?‘
Al-Arqam was decreed a deviant sect in 1994 by the National Fatwa Council after it was found to have practised Aurad Muhammadiah teachings which was described as misleading Muslims from the true Islamic beliefs.
There are 41 ministries in the “shadow cabinet” including:
the ministry of the netherworld (kementerian alam ghaib)
the ministries of true souls and sects (roh suci dan tariqat)
the ministry of death and the hereafter (kematian dan akhirat)
the ministry of family and holy sex (keluarga dan seks suci)