Photos: 13 Killed In Washington Navy Yard Mass Shooting

17 09 2013
659b9b2ef90c6a490dbb4fe8f522d156

The building where the mass shooting happened. Please click the photo for larger image. (Ahmad Ali Karim for Ahmad Ali JetPlane Pics)

 

13 people including the gunman were reported killed in a mass killing at the Washington Navy Yard.

America’s Navy stated that the tragedy happened inside the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters building (Bldg. 197) on the Washington Navy Yard at 8:20 a.m. (Eastern Time) September 16.

Yahoo News reported that the victims ranged in age from 46 to 73, and were either civilians or contractors.

Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at Washington Hospital Center, said one Metropolitan Police officer and two civilians are being treated there and that they arrived in critical condition.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation or FBI identified the suspect as Aaron Alexis, 34 years old, a civilian contractor from Queens, New York.

Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said Alexis was shot during a gun battle with officers.

Yahoo News reported that Alexis was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011 and left the Navy on January 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class and had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46 in Fort Worth.

A Navy official told Reuters that Alexis received a general discharge from the Navy in 2011 “after a series of misconduct issues.”

A ‘shelter in place’ order was issued for Navy Yard personnel after the shooting.

Access to the Washington Navy Yard will be restricted Tuesday, Sept. 17 to mission essential personnel only as the FBI continues its investigation.

Authorities are still investigating the case to determine the motive of the shooting.

(Please click the photos for larger images)

 

Advertisements




Lahad Datu: Update On Kg. Tanduo Operation

5 03 2013

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said that the Malaysian security forces are in full control of areas in the east coast of Sabah .

This morning the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Abdul Razak made a statement that the Malaysian Security Forces have launched an attack Sulu intruders in Kampung Tanduo in Lahad Datu, Sabah at 7 a.m. today.

NST reported that at about 8.25 a.m. villagers fled the area as several explosions were heard while fighter jets and helicopters are also seen.

After the air operations, the ground troops went into the area.

NST also reported that six vessels, two each from the Navy, marine police and Malaysia Maritime Enforcement Agency were earlier seen leaving the marine police jetty.

In a press statement, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said the attack on the intruders is a success and no casualties were reported on the Malaysian side during the operation.

The Sulu intruders started a stand-off in Lahad Datu, Sabah since February 12, 2013 and do not want to leave our country despite the Malaysian police have arranged for meetings and discussions hoping that the intruders would agree to leave peacefully without facing serious action.

Last Friday, they fired shots at policemen on duty killing two police officers and on Saturday they killed another six policemen in Semporna.

Please read, Lahad Datu Shooting: 2 Malaysian Police Killed, 3 Injured and ‘List And Photos Of Policemen Killed In Semporna Shooting‘.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department, Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said Malaysia is not at war with the Philippines government as the intruders are not recognised by the Philippine government.

He further said that if they are detained,  they will face criminal charges including for murder.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein confirmed that none of the Malaysian security forces were injured in this morning’s operation.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi confirms security forces utilised 3 F/A-18D fighter bombers and 5 Hawk 208 fighter jets in this morning’s operation during a joint press conference with Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein today.

Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Acryl Sani Abdullah said that Sarawak police are sending reinforcement of 500 policemen from its 10th Battalion in Sibu, 11th Battalion in  Kuching and 12th Battalion in  Miri, to Sabah today.

At a 4 p.m. press briefing, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said that the operation is ongoing and that he believed that the remaining Sulu soldiers were still in and around the operation area, adding that it was unknown whether some managed to escape to other nearby villages such as Tanjung Batu.

I love my country and I think so do most people in Sabah and that they do not want those intruders to disturb their lives and causing lots of troubles to everybody.

I pray that there will be no more casualties on the Malaysian security forces and this operation will be a success.

When I supported the opposition parties in Pakatan Rakyat (PR), I thought that the Malaysian police was bad and brutal because PR leaders always say so.

Now I am proud of the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) and I think that they are our heroes.

Related Posts:

  1. LAHAD DATU: Najib Announces Attack On Intruders
  2. Security Forces Launched Operation To Apprehend The Armed Intruders At Kg. Tanduo – PM
  3. List And Photos Of Policemen Killed And Injured In Lahad Datu
  4. In Photos: Our Lahad Datu Fallen Heroes
  5. Photos of Lahad Datu Shooting







%d bloggers like this: