13 people including the gunman were reported killed in a mass killing at the Washington Navy Yard.
America’s Navy stated that the tragedy happened inside the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters building (Bldg. 197) on the Washington Navy Yard at 8:20 a.m. (Eastern Time) September 16.
Yahoo News reported that the victims ranged in age from 46 to 73, and were either civilians or contractors.
Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at Washington Hospital Center, said one Metropolitan Police officer and two civilians are being treated there and that they arrived in critical condition.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation or FBI identified the suspect as Aaron Alexis, 34 years old, a civilian contractor from Queens, New York.
Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said Alexis was shot during a gun battle with officers.
Yahoo News reported that Alexis was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011 and left the Navy on January 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class and had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46 in Fort Worth.
A Navy official told Reuters that Alexis received a general discharge from the Navy in 2011 “after a series of misconduct issues.”
A ‘shelter in place’ order was issued for Navy Yard personnel after the shooting.
Access to the Washington Navy Yard will be restricted Tuesday, Sept. 17 to mission essential personnel only as the FBI continues its investigation.
Authorities are still investigating the case to determine the motive of the shooting.
(Please click the photos for larger images)