13 people including the gunman were reported killed in a mass killing at the Washington Navy Yard.
America’s Navy stated that the tragedy happened inside the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters building (Bldg. 197) on the Washington Navy Yard at 8:20 a.m. (Eastern Time) September 16.
Yahoo News reported that the victims ranged in age from 46 to 73, and were either civilians or contractors.
Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at Washington Hospital Center, said one Metropolitan Police officer and two civilians are being treated there and that they arrived in critical condition.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation or FBI identified the suspect as Aaron Alexis, 34 years old, a civilian contractor from Queens, New York.
Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said Alexis was shot during a gun battle with officers.
Yahoo News reported that Alexis was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011 and left the Navy on January 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class and had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46 in Fort Worth.
A Navy official told Reuters that Alexis received a general discharge from the Navy in 2011 “after a series of misconduct issues.”
A ‘shelter in place’ order was issued for Navy Yard personnel after the shooting.
Access to the Washington Navy Yard will be restricted Tuesday, Sept. 17 to mission essential personnel only as the FBI continues its investigation.
Authorities are still investigating the case to determine the motive of the shooting.
The bomb explosions in Boston during the 117th Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013 had killed 3 people while more than 170 others were injured. (Please click here for the photos)
It is very sad to read about another mass killing in the United States of America.
The victims were eight years old Martin Richard, of Boston, twenty-nine years old Krystle Campbell, of Medford and a Chinese lady identified by the Shenyang Evening News as Lu Lingzi.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation or FBI investigating the area found a mangled pressure cooker and a torn black bag that the FBI said were part of a bomb.
Associated Press reported that FBI believes that at least one bomb and possibly both were built using pressure cookers as the superstructure, black powder or gunpowder as the explosive and ball bearings and nails as additional shrapnel.
It has evidence that indicates one of the bombs that exploded in the Boston Marathon was contained in a pressure cooker with nails and ball bearings, and it was hidden in a backpack, the FBI said.
Anyway they still didn’t know who did it and why.
FBI agent in charge in Boston, Richard DesLauriers said there had been no claim of responsibility for the attack.
It is very irresponsible for the ones who did this because they killed and hurt lots of innocent people for nothing.
I wonder why must people did this and for what reason?
If they are angry about something or demanded something, they should not use violence and caused so much trouble and sadness to other people.
If everybody who are unhappy about something, uses violence to get what they wanted, the world will not be a safe place to live in anymore.
Two wrongs will not make one right.
The people who did this must be adults because I do not think that children could do all these.
It is sad that adults who should be caring, responsible, protective, careful and ‘should behave like an adult’ have the heart to do all these for whatever reason.
There is no fool like and old fool, an adult should behave like an adult and protect the children and not hurt them.
I’m very sad and sorry for the victims, their families and friends especially to the family of Martin Richard,the youngest who was killed.
I hope that the adults in this world will learn to be responsible and behave like one.
Do not be proud of violence and street demonstrations because it will only destroy us all.