It is with deep sadness that Malaysia Airlines earlier this evening had to confirm to the families of those on board Flight MH370 that it must now be assumed the flight had been lost. As the Prime Minister said, respect for the families is essential at this difficult time. And it is in that spirit that we informed the majority of the families in advance of the Prime Minister’s statement in person and by telephone. SMSs were used only as an additional means of communicating with the families. Those families have been at the heart of every action the company has taken since the flight disappeared on 8th March and they will continue to be so. When Malaysia Airlines receives approval from the investigating authorities, arrangements will be made to bring the families to the recovery area and until that time, we will continue to support the ongoing investigation.
Monday, March 24, 10:15 PM MYT +0800 Malaysia Airlines MH370 Flight Incident – Media Statement 23
Note: The communication below was shared with the family members of passengers and crew of MH370
Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume that MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean. As you will hear in the next hour from Malaysia’s Prime Minister, new analysis of satellite data suggests the plane went down in the Southern Indian Ocean.
On behalf of all of us at Malaysia Airlines and all Malaysians, our prayers go out to all the loved ones of the 226 passengers and of our 13 friends and colleagues at this enormously painful time.
We know there are no words that we or anyone else can say which can ease your pain. We will continue to provide assistance and support to you, as we have done since MH370 first disappeared in the early hours of 8 March, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
The ongoing multinational search operation will continue, as we seek answers to the questions which remain. Alongside the search for MH370, there is an intensive investigation, which we hope will also provide answers.
We would like to assure you that Malaysia Airlines will continue to give you our full support throughout the difficult weeks and months ahead.
Once again, we humbly offer our sincere thoughts, prayers and condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.
Please note translation for this statement to Chinese language is in progress.
PKR leaders are furious when Britain’s The Mail on Sunday published, “Doomed Airliner Pilot Was Political Fanatic” on its front page.
The article stated that the missing MH370 pilot, Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah is “a political fanatic” and an “obsessive” supporter of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
It also reported that the pilot had attended Anwar’s trial at the Court of Appeal and could had been very upset over the court decision hours before he piloted the plane to Beijing.
The Star reported that Anwar rubbished the claims and blamed Umno for creating the perception.
PKR’s Fahmi Fadzil, Tian Chua, N. Surendran, Dr Afif Bahardin, Peter Chong and Datuk Abdul Malik Abul Kassim and PAS’s Suhaizan Kaiat also gave strong statements against the report.
I wonder why are they so ‘aggressive’ over the news when PKR are fighting for the freedom of press?
The report only said that the pilot is a political fanatic and an obsessive supporter Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim; well I’m sure he is not the only person who is a ‘political fanatic and an obsessive supporter Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’ – if not how could Anwar claims that a lot of people support him?
Anwar says that he wants press freedom in Malaysia and that overseas medias enjoy the press freedom, so now, why must he be furious and put the blame on UMNO?
Or is UMNO the owner of Britain’s The Mail?
Statement by MAS GCEO, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya
Together with all those affected by the MH370 incident, we understand the need to provide regular updates on the progress of the search and rescue operations. As the hours turn into days, we at Malaysia Airlines are similarly anxious and we appreciate the patience, support and prayers from everyone.
We however acknowledge that the most affected group in this incident is the families of those on-board. As such, our primary focus at this point in time is to care for the families. This means providing them with timely information, travel facilities, accommodation, meals and emotional support. Initial financial assistance has been given out to all families. Caregivers are already assigned to each family and they are trained staff and volunteers from Malaysia and Australia.
Family members of the MH370 passengers from Beijing who wish to travel will be flown in stages to Kuala Lumpur on the available flights. We are also communicating with the families from other nations to similarly arrange for their travel to Kuala Lumpur.
In the event flight MH370 is located, a Response Control Centre (RCC) in the area will be activated to support the needs of families.
The airline continues to work with the authorities and we appreciate the help we are receiving from all parties during this critical and difficult time.
Sepang, 8 March 2014: The families of all passengers on board MH370 are being informed. The flight was carrying a total number of 239 passengers and crew – comprising 227 passengers (including 2 infants) and 12 crew members.
An international search and rescue mission was mobilized this morning. At this stage, our search and rescue teams from Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam have failed to find evidence of any wreckage.
The sea mission will continue while the air mission will recommence at daylight.
For the passenger manifest of MH370, click here.
The passengers are of 14 different nationalities. All crew on-board are Malaysians.
The below table shows the latest number of passengers and their nationalities:-
|China/Taiwan||153 including infant/1|
|USA||3 including infant|
Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members.
The public may contact +603 7884 1234.
For media queries, kindly contact +603 8777 5698/ +603 8787 1276.